Since January 2009, more than 400 people throughout the region updated the regional Visioneering Wichita 20-year plan through the R³ process: Review, Revise and Focus. Through 22 meetings citizens reaffirmed the plan’s goals and strategies and identified specific priorities to advance the vision:
- Support continued momentum on plans already in place
- Desire aggressive movement on downtown revitalization efforts
- Advance progress on Arkansas River beautification and accessibility improvements
- Implement parks, recreation and open spaces plans
- Intentional alignment of plans and improved communication strategies on progress
- Citizens want to know where the governments are on the plans and how they are assisting
- Push for strategic regional focus on jobs to determine our future economic prosperity plan
- Family stability issues – invite the faith community, in a more public way, to help in this area
- Celebrate our local distinctiveness of cultures and promote increased knowledge of and participation in offerings
- Focus on transportation issues at all levels from roads to bike paths
- Keep focused on regional approach
In addition to the priorities and themes, the groups recommended deleting four of the original 158 strategies in the first plan, adding 2 and revising 28. For more specifics on the recommendations, click here.
Moving forward Visioneering Wichita will continue to connect people to the work going on for different strategies in the plan and providing administrative support.