U.S. Army Staff Sergeant Salvatore "Sal" Giunta was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 2010.On Thursday, November 29, the community will have an opportunity to hear from former U.S. Army Staff Sergeant Salvatore Giunta when he’s the featured speaker at the Chamber’s Annual Meeting. Giunta is the first living person to receive the Medal of Honor since the conclusion of the Vietnam War. His memoir, titled Living With Honor, covers his journey from being a teenage "sandwich artist at Subway" to his heroic actions during combat in Afghanistan in October 2007 that earned him the U.S. military’s highest honor in 2010. Most of us won’t ever be tested like Giunta or his fellow soldiers, but his story offers a number of life and leadership lessons that we can incorporate in our daily lives. He shares some of them in his book.
- Training is essential. You need the right tools and the confidence to use them.
- Teamwork and communication are vital. Your success depends on everyone understanding their role and embracing the mission.
- Leadership is critical. You’ll move mountains for leaders you respect.
- Heroes are all around us. Every courageous deed isn’t documented, captured on film or publicly celebrated. There are lots of quiet heroes among us that we can and should recognize for their sacrifices and heroism.
Living With Honor is a memoir by Salvatore A. Giunta.Giunta is a true U.S. patriot, but his book doesn’t sugarcoat the hardships and heartbreak that soldiers endure during wartime. His humility is endearing and his endurance is inspiring. We hope that you’ll join us on November 29 to thank him for his heroic actions and learn more about his determination to serve his country and his fellow soldiers. Please plan to bring members of your team, your clients and other business associates who will benefit from his leadership lessons.
- Register for the event.
- Watch Videos about Salvatore Giunta -Moment of Valor (2-minute clip) -Staff Sgt. Giunta's Medal of Honor (60 Minutes story)
Our thanks to our many sponsors who have made it possible to bring Giunta to Wichita. Presenting Sponsor: INTRUST Bank Premier Sponsors: Cox Business, Spirit AeroSystems, Inc. and Westar Energy Platinum Sponsors: Bank of America/Merrill Lynch, Black Hills Energy, Cargill Protein Group, Grant Thornton LLP, High Touch Technologies, Hyatt Regency Wichita, Meritrust Credit Union, RCB Bank, and Berry Companies Print Sponsor: Envision, Inc. Gold Sponsors: GLMV Architecture, Inc., Hutton, Lubrication Engineers, Inc., Occidental Management, Inc., and Professional Engineering Consultants, P.A. Chairman's Circle: Spirit AeroSystems, Inc., Koch Industries, Inc., and Cox Presidential Partners: Textron Aviation, Inc., INTRUST Bank, and Fidelity Bank