Wichita will turn 149 years old on Sunday, July 21, and we've gathered a few ideas for how Wichitans can celebrate.
Participate in a Birthday Celebration
- Wicked Stitch is offering free Wichita flag wine glasses or Wichita- themed canvas totes with every $30 purchase, now through July 20. Find them in Clifton Square or at 2121 N. Tyler.
- The Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum is providing free admission on Saturday, July 20 if you bring a birthday card for Wichita. All four floors of the museum will be open with special tours, crafts, activities and refreshments at 204 S. Main.
- Hopping Gnome Brewing Company is offering $1 off their ICT IPA from noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday, July 21 at 1710 E. Douglas.
- Take a step back in time and visit Wichita’s oldest surviving structure, the 1868 Munger House, at Old Cowtown Museum. Admission to the museum is free on Sunday, July 21 and is open noon to 5 p.m. at 1865 W. Museum Blvd.
- Lace up your tennis shoes for Chicken & Pickle’s birthday bash from noon to 6 p.m. on Sunday, July 21 at 1240 N. Greenwich. WuShock is set to make an appearance from 1 to 3 p.m.
- Enter Logo Depot’s t-shirt design contest by submitting your ideas at logodepotweb.com/design. All entries will be showcased and voted on at a Final Friday Party on July 26.
- Host your own birthday bash by offering a discount or service for people wearing flag swag and promote it via social media.
Visit a Mural
Wouldn’t it be flagtastic to have a guide to all the Wichita flag-themed murals in the downtown area? Download the izi.travel app and look for the Wichita Flag Murals – Downtown Wichita, Kansas tour. There are both audio and readable versions of the tour, which includes 29 different murals on or near Douglas Avenue.
Show Your Wichita Colors
Download a Wichita flag coloring sheet from ilovewichita.org and let you artistic side shine.
Wave Your #WichitaFlag
Gone are the days when only a handful of businesses and homes were flying the city’s official flag. Wichitans are showing their pride at home, school and work by flying their favorite civic symbol and tagging @WichitaFlag on social media. Don’t own a flag, yet? Find a list of local vendors at ilovewichita.org.
Participate in the #WichitaFlagSummerTravelContest
Take the Wichita flag on your summer vacation or staycation and enter to win! Just follow @WichitaFlag on Instagram, post your original photos, tag your location, use #WichitaFlagSummerTravelContest, and be part of spreading the Wichita love.
Start Planning for Wichita’s 150th in 2020
Our great city will turn 150 years old next year, also know as its sesquicentennial. Begin thinking about what the companies and organizations that you care about can do to mark the historical milestone coming up in 2020.